Thursday 20 October 2011

My cooking style

Hello! I’m Andrew's wife and co-Director of Andrew Peace Wines. As well as my busy business life, I have a hectic time keeping our big family fed and watered. This is my corner of the website where I’ll be sharing some of my hints, tips and recipes on how to feed a hungry brood.
Hello! I’m Andrew’s wife and co-Director of Andrew Peace Wines. As well as my busy business life, I have a hectic time keeping our big family fed and watered. This is my corner of the website where I’ll be sharing some of my hints, tips and recipes on how to feed a hungry brood.

I’m not into fancy, fussy recipes – my style of cooking is based on using fresh ingredients. I create meals around what is in season, what I have picked in the garden or what my wonderful neighbours have supplied. I try to feed my family a balanced diet of two fruits and five veggies per day with, of course, meat and dairy in there as well. I don’t just stick to traditional Aussie dishes though; I’m very influenced by different food cultures and experiment quite often. Very rarely do I follow a recipe; I go by taste and past dishes I have had at restaurants that I think I must try at home.

As I’m always on a tight schedule, I try to just shop once a week and have learnt that with being so busy I have to do a weekly menu plan. I may change it a little from night to night but at least I have a base of what we should be eating for the week. I take into account how many I'm feeding each night and therefore if I need some ‘volume’ dishes or something special with a few courses.

When it comes to tucking in, I usually place all the dishes on the table for everyone to help themselves and I always make extra in case someone drops in (that happens a lot round here!). If not, as we all eat at home and I make the children's lunches, the leftovers are always eaten. Plus we have chooks and the dogs who get the rest, so nothing goes to waste.

I hope you will follow my blog and keep coming back for more ideas and recipes for feeding a family big or small. You’ll be one step closer to the Australian good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment