Thursday 20 October 2011

A week in the Peace household

As I mentioned in my first post, I have to plan ahead for our week’s meals otherwise I’ll run out of time during the week and be running around like crazy. Here’s an idea of what a typical plan would look like for the Peace household. I hope it will inspire you to do a similar plan for your family.
As I mentioned in my first post, I have to plan ahead for our week’s meals otherwise I’ll run out of time during the week and be running around like crazy.
Here’s an idea of what a typical plan would look like for the Peace household. I hope it will inspire you to do a similar plan for your family.

Monday:
Pasta dish, which could be veggie, with salad and homemade garlic bread. I don't like bought garlic bread as it is usually overloaded with butter which isn’t necessary – plus it’s so simple to make!

Tuesday:
Lamb, spinach pie, tabbouleh, hummus, steamed greens and homemade ciabatta. I can then use the leftover lamb and salads for wraps for lunch the next day.

Wednesday:
Chicken stir-fry with sticky rice – one of my favourites. I use the leftover sticky rice to make nori rolls – a type of sushi - for the children's lunch the next day.

Thursday:
Pan-fried salmon with couscous or quinoa, chickpeas, zucchini and carrot or radish and capers – delicious.

Friday:
Most Fridays we have all the family round, so we can have at least 20 for dinner. We usually put on a BBQ, pizzas, or a selection of curries and casseroles (veggie and meat). I might make home-made pizzas or grilled steak with zucchini, capsicum, mushroom and onion which can be grilled on the BBQ finished off with balsamic vinegar and simple mashed potato. During winter, for the football boys, I make sure they have plenty of carbohydrates, and so include pasta and rice dishes to keep up their strength.

Saturday:
We often have dinner guests on a Saturday so I make a special meal. Starters might be ratatouille tartlets, prosciutto wrapped asparagus with blue cheese or guacamole (just finished eating this a lot as we had an abundance of avocados), prawns with garlic and chilli or our own olives. To follow, we might have stuffed calamari (that my neighbour’s uncle has caught me), smoked cod, grilled kangaroo or goat plus whatever veggies are in season.

Sunday:
This is a chill out day so I keep it fairly simple with a roast and some veggies.
I very rarely make desserts, but usually always have a fresh fruit platter or my homemade fruit leathers (a bit like beef jerky made from fruit) or bottled fruit during winter. Each week, normally on a Sunday or Monday night, I also bake a cake or muffins and a large tin of biscuits. If I have extras in the house, I might include a slice for dessert to keep the boys happy.

It may seem like an arduous task at first to plan all the meals for the week but as soon as you start doing it, I promise you that you won’t look back!

No comments:

Post a Comment